WinXP out of the box is slow. Even on multi gigahertz machines, the default installation seems sluggish, and not only that, the system is wide open to viruses and spyware. Most people using a Windows PC on the Internet find their pc’s slowing down drastically over time. I’ve found that a properly set up 1 ghz. pc is faster for normal use than a default installation of WinXP on a 2.5 ghz. machine. That is a big difference!
h4. the top WinXP tweaking sites:
* “Black Viper”:http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
* “Windows XP from A-Z”:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
* “TweakHound’s Super XP Tweaking Guide”:http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm
* “BootStrike’s Windows XP Guides”:http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/index.html
* “Neowin.net”:http://neowin.net > “Customizing Windows”:http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=0d384c3f6460d75f20d23df0e5b0d031&act=SC&c=37 > “Tweaking Windows”:http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=0d384c3f6460d75f20d23df0e5b0d031&showforum=33
h4. Configure Your System Wickedly:
( _Guides for the rest of your PC_ ) These cover other programs, bios, hadware etc.
* “Shell Extension City”:http://shellcity.net/
* “The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide”:http://www.rojakpot.com/bog.aspx
h4. Essential Tweaking Programs:
_the above links include just about all anyone needs to know about tweaking Windows to the hilt. These days most normal home computers are full to the brim with all sorts of spyware, viruses and junk mailers. The below will ensure that things keep running properly._
* “Ad-Aware”:http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ :: This needs to be on every Windows pc. This is not a tweaking program as such, but if you’ve been using IE and Outlook Express, this will really speed up your pc.
* “Spybot – Search & Destroy”:http://www.safer-networking.org/ detects and removes spyware of different kinds from your computer. Basically the same as Adaware, but they both complement each other.
_Warning: do not for any reason install Norton Systemworks_
* “AVG Anti-Virus”:http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php :: There is a free version of this available, but the professional version is a lot better. It takes up a lot less resources than either Mcafee or Norton, and religiously updates itself every day. Both Norton and Mcafee would often have problems updating their virus definitions, and would fall a month behind. It makes no sense to guard against last week’s virus. Plus both of them make Windows somewhat unstable.
h4. Other Programs:
The best thing one can do for a Windows PC is to stop using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. They attract viruses and spyware like a open -jar- barrel of honey in a garbage heap. The following list has recommendations for free alternatives:
* “KO: Best Open Source or Free Software”:http://ko.offroadpakistan.com/pakistan/2003_10/best_open_source_or_free_software.html