Pakistan was already in the midst of a dark age, but darker days are ahead – “Benazir Bhutto was killed today”:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7161590.stm.
* “Wikipedia entry on Benazir Bhutto”:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazir_Bhutto
* “Technorati search for Benazir”:http://www.technorati.com/search/benazir?authority=a4&language=en
* “ATP post on the assassination”:http://pakistaniat.com/2007/12/27/pakistan-benazir-bhutto-killed/
There is not much worse which could have happened in Pakistan. Conspiracy theories are already on the prowl…
Interesting sight on BBC news – the bombsite has been cleaned, and fire trucks are pouring water on the scene to clean away away any last shred of evidence. It looks like a literal cleanup is underway…
The “New York Times”:http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/world/asia/28pakistan.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin:
bq.. Ms. Bhutto, 54, was shot in the neck or head, according to differing accounts, as she stood in the open sunroof of a car and waved to crowds. Seconds later a suicide attacker detonated his bomb, damaging one of the cars in her motorcade, killing more than 20 people and wounding 50, the Interior Ministry said.
[…]The attack bore hallmarks of the Qaeda-linked militants in Pakistan. But witnesses described a sniper firing from a nearby building, raising questions about how well the government had protected her in a usually well-guarded garrison town and fueling speculation that government sympathizers had played a part.
p. It was a well planned hit:
bq. Haqqani notes that Bhutto died of a gunshot wound to the neck. “It’s like a hit, not a regular suicide bombing,” he says. “It’s quite clear that someone who considers himself Pakistan’s Godfather has a very different attitude toward human life than you and I do.” “#”:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071227/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_pakistan
* “New Yorker Profile from 1993”:http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1993/10/04/1993_10_04_082_TNY_CARDS_000365108?currentPage=all
h4. A small part of the aftermath
* 173 banks burnt
* 26 banks damaged
* 158 offices torched and burnt completely
* 23 offices damaged
* 24 petrol pumps burnt
* 2 petrol pumps damaged
* 370 cars completely burnt
* 61 cars damaged
* 72 trains bogies/coaches torched completely
* 18 railway stations burnt completely
* 4 stations damaged
* 765 shops were torched completely gutted
* 19 offices/shops damaged partially
* 41 people killed
* 53 people injured
Not to mentions the billions of rupees lost in lost productivity.