I wished to find out more about Australia and hence this list.
- The Australian Moment by George Megalogenis – An Australian journalist looks at Australia from the 70’s to 2011.
- Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One’s Land by Sven Lindqvist – a short travelogue through Australia, which looks at the land and the idealogical attitudes of the original settlers towards the natives.
- Tall Man: The Death of Doomadgee by Chloe Hooper – The story of an aboriginal man killed by a police office in Queensland. There is also a documentary
- Rabbit Proof Fence – a true story about the stolen generation – three girls escape the settlement camp and walk 2,400km back home along the state barrier fence of WA.
- Strictly Ballroom – a ‘092 film about an Australian ballet dancer
- The Castle – A Melbourne family fights to keep their home from a nearby airport being built
- Crocodile Dundee
- Rodney Hall’s essay: “Being shaped by the stories we choose from our history”
- Laura Tingle’s recent essay in the Quarterly Essay. “…excellent in terms of an up to date analysis and history of Australian politics and approach to government. It’s not the most introductory of essays and may have you reaching for Wikipedia, but could be interesting.”
- @simon_cullen – ABC Reporter, Parliament House, Canberra
- @latikambourke – Political and Social Media Reporter at Parliament House Canberra
Rec: They’re the quickest sources of political news in Twitter and very good at summing up the issues of the day in Aus.
- First Australians – First Australians chronicles the birth of contemporary Australia as never told before, from the perspective of its first people. First Australians explores what unfolds when the oldest living culture in the world is overrun by the world’s greatest empire.
- Someone said watch anything and everything on the ABC.
Nothing here yet!
There are always many lists, and any good ones I find will get linked here.